Monday, July 02, 2007

Sales Lessons from My Kids

My daughters have only been in this world for a combined 13 short years and already they are teaching ME, more than I am teaching them. They are teaching me that persistence is the most effective way to get something done.

I'm actually thinking of hiring them. I am a mortgage lender in the 'real world'. I imagine that if one of my daughters was to make a sales call for me, this is what it would sound like:

[RING]

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mr. Jones, my daddy says you want to refinance your mortgage. How can I help you?"

"Well, I'm not quite ready to discuss this just yet. I need to talk to my wife first. Give me some time to discuss it with her."

"Okay. Bye."

[CLICK]

Five minutes later

[RING]

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mr. Jones. NOW are you ready to talk about your mortgage?"

"As I said, I need some time to talk it over with my wife. Thank you."

"Okay. Bye bye."

[CLICK]

Five minutes later

[RING]

"Yes?"

"Mr. Jones, I really, really want to talk about your mortgage wif you."

"No, not right now, young lady!"

"No, no, no, NOW you say 'YES'!"

"Excuse me?"

"Now you say, 'Yes, I DO want to talk about my mortgage'."

"Young lady, I need to speak to my wife first, BEFORE I discuss my mortgage with you."

"She said, 'YES!'"

"Excuse me, missy?"

"She said, 'YES, YES!'"

"Young lady, my wife is at work...and you don't even know where that is."

"I DO know where that is and she said 'YES'!"

"Not right now, young lady. Goodbye!"

[CLICK]

Five minutes later

[RING]

"This better not be who I think it is."

Talking off in the distance

"I really wish Mr. Jones would talk to me about his mortgage."

"Young lady?"

"Boy, I REALLY want Mr. Jones to talk about his mortgage wif me."

"Now listen, young lady, this is ridiculous! We are NOT talking about my mortgage right now!"

"PLEEEEEEEASE? I REEEEEALLY want to."

(sighs)
"Fine. Call back in an hour. My wife will be home then."

"Thirty minutes."

"WHAT???"

"I'll call back in thirty minutes."

"Now look here. I agreed to talk about my mortgage with you. Just call back in ONE HOUR."

"Twenty minutes."

"Young lady, you are NOT to call back here in twenty minutes, or you will be in BIG trouble. Don't make me come over there!"

"OK, fine, I'll call back in thirty minutes."

"Fine!"

"Fine. OK, thank you, Mr. Jones!"

No comments: